A piece of brick symbolizing the patients of the Toronto Insane Asylum, referred to as “inmates” in the late 19th century. The massive structure of the Toronto Insane Asylum encompassed the entire area of 16 hectares between Queen and King Streets West, bordering Shaw Street and Dovercourt Road. Construction of the wall began in 1875 and was finished in 1910, solely with patient labour. This work was referred to as “therapeutic” and was made mandatory for all male patients, of able body and “improved mind.” No-one was ever given financial reward or any tangible benefits for this work. It was in fact slave labour.